Re: Making the Tao a web page

2012-06-01 07:15:24
On 01/06/2012 00:50, Paul Hoffman wrote:
Thank you for that most colorful analogy. :-) What I proposed is exactly
what we are doing now, except that the changes would appear on the web
page instead of an Internet-Draft and, five years later, an RFC. Are you
saying that the current system (which you have not commented on until
now) is sclerotic (a word that I have wanted to use since I learned it
in high school)?

It depends on what you're trying to do.  For prescriptive documents which
aren't expected to change much, the I-D system works well.  But as it's
been suggested that this document falls into a category which is expected
to change from time to time, wikis offer a lot more flexibility.  Wikipedia
editing and document management policy suggests that you can end up with
quality material.  It's a bit of a departure from the I-D system, but its
lack of formality is quite appealing for documents which are not formally
prescriptive.

Nick