Re: Last Call: RFC 2818 (HTTP Over TLS) to Proposed Standard

2012-06-01 15:34:42
At 09:42 01-06-2012, IESG Secretary wrote:
The IESG has received a request from the TLS Working Group to reclassify RFC 2818 (HTTP Over TLS) to Proposed Standard.

Could the IESG please use ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead of obfuscating the email address? Some of us are lazy especially on Fridays.

Erratum #1077 has been classified as "Held for Document Update". Will there ever be a document update? Implementing this specification requires HTTP/1.1 and TLS 1.0. I suggest updating the reference to RFC 4346 at least and waiting for the updated HTTP specifications.

St. Andre and Mr. Hodges authored a Proposed Standard called "Representation and Verification of Domain-Based Application Service Identity within Internet Public Key Infrastructure Using X.509 (PKIX) Certificates in the Context of Transport Layer Security (TLS)". Quoting from Section 1.4:

  "the procedures described here can be referenced by future
   specifications, including updates to specifications for
   existing application protocols if the relevant technology
   communities agree to do so."

May I suggest taking the above into consideration and at least put some minimal effort into a 2818bis?

Regards,
-sm