Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-05.txt> (Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field) to Proposed Standard

2012-06-01 21:47:34
Joe Touch wrote:

Existing routers, which was relying on ID uniqueness of atomic
packets, are now broken when they fragment the atomic packets.

The recommendation in this doc - that such sources MUST rate-limit - is
to comply with the ID uniqueness requirements already in RFC791 that
this doc does not deprecate - e.g., its use to support fragmentation.

It means that the uniqueness requirements must be loosened.

Another example is that, when route changes, routers
fragmenting atomic packets may change, which means rate
limiting does not guarantee ID uniqueness.

We all recognize that there are plenty of non-compliant NAT boxes

Rest of my examples are plain routers, which has been fully
compliant.

   Is there some document provided to obsolete the following:

     The IPv6 fragment header is present

     when the source has received
     a "packet too big" ICMPv6 error message when the path cannot support
     the required minimum 1280-byte IPv6 MTU and is thus subject to
     translation

   which is meaningless from the beginning, because length of
   IPv6 ID is 32 bit, from which it is impossible to generate
   unique IPv4 ID.

None of which I am aware.

There should be. May I volunteer?

                                                Masataka Ohta