Re: registries and designated experts (was: Re: APPSDIR review of draft-farrell-decade-ni-07, major design issue (one or two URI schemes))

2012-06-12 20:02:05
* Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
By my reading, the "happiana" discussions [1] over the 12+ months have
led most participants to the conclusion that registration does not imply
standardization, and that it's not the role of the designated expert to
act as a gatekeeper with respect to the technical merits of the
technologies that trigger registration requests.

My impression is the same (though I do not agree with "led").

It might be good to have a wider discussion about the purpose of
registries and the role of designated experts, but IMHO it's not correct
to conclude that a technology is acceptable just because the designated
expert didn't object to the registrations related to that technology.

I would say that decisions by designated experts have no implications
outside the confines of their role and their discretion. We could give
experts the power to decide over "is acceptable", but when we do not,
then they do not have that power, and nobody should argue otherwise.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern(_at_)hoehrmann(_dot_)de ·
http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de