Re: Change in I-D announcement format

2012-06-13 08:29:00
Russ Housley wrote:
Brian:

There was no announcement that this change was about to be deployed;
however, there was a long discussion of the change.  It started with
a request for the HTML version of the I-D instead of the plain
text version.  At the end of the discussion the decision was to use
the Datatracker URL as it allows anyone to get the plaintext or a
diff with just one more click.

I recall a different outcome, because this reasoning looks flawed to me.

Tools that process the announce-Emails automatically
will be unable to "perform another mouse-click" in order to
get to a page where there is an URL to the TXT document,
so that option does not exist.

Those who use a graphical frontend that is sensitive to follow
URLs on mouse-click, will probably prefer the HTML variant
over the TXT variant.

The two changes that I would appreciate:
Put the direct TXT URL back into the announcement.
Fix the new URL to the HTML version in the announcment.

-Martin