Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-behave-lsn-requirements-07.txt> (Common requirements for Carrier Grade NATs (CGNs)) to Best Current Practice

2012-07-09 10:09:21
On 2012-07-09 11:03, George, Wes wrote:
 While the NAT specified by this
document itself may only act on IPv4 traffic, as you note above it's
not limited to just NAT444 or even an IPv4-only *network*. The
recommendations in this doc will work for an IPv4 NAT associated with
DSLite just as easily as a more traditional IPv4 transport. This is
an important distinction, IMO.

Right, I understand now. It's the logical NAT function that is IPv4-only, not the global use case. I'll add some text to make this clear, and I'll specifically point out the DS-Lite example.

How about "Common Requirements for IPv4 Carrier Grade NATs
(CGNs)"?
[WEG] This helps, but only in conjunction with additional
clarification about the application - that is, just because the NAT
is IPv4-only doesn't mean that the network must also be IPv4-only.

Understood.

Simon
--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca