Re: Proposed IETF 95 Date Change

2012-07-24 10:48:18
+1

On 7/23/12 6:28 AM, "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)"
<keith(_dot_)drage(_at_)alcatel-lucent(_dot_)com> wrote:

Let's forget the religious discussion that seems to have broken out as a
result of this.

While Easter may be a major Christian festival, I don't believe the issue
is such (I can think of no reasons why Christians would have a doctrinal
reason other than those that apply to any other Sunday and those
obligations could mostly be met at the venue rather than at home). Rather
it is Easter the secular public holiday that happens to occur in many
countries.

This is the set of days when schools take an extended break, parents take
said children off on short holidays; cheap air tickets cease to be
available; when you get on the plane, it is full of screaming children;
local transport all works to a reduced timetable; for those IETFers who
end up wishing to travel by train, they find themselves moving to busses
to cater for the engineering works which a 4 day weekend seems to
encourage.

So my advice would be, change the dates if it looks like you are going to
hold the meeting in a country that takes such holidays, or where a
significant number of people would need to transit through such a
country. If so you need to take into account at least both the Friday and
Monday in some countries.

Keith

P.S. Trying to avoid every religious and public holiday is an impossible
task. Do what other organizations have done and concentrate on the impact
of such holidays on holding the meeting in any location.