Re: I-D Action: draft-balaji-mpls-lawful-intercept-thru-label-dis-00.txt

2012-07-31 09:30:43
Also note that RFC 3924 exists.

On Jul 31, 2012, at 4:14 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Loa,

I can't speak for Scott, but I think the problem arises if any
IANA assignments are needed, regardless of RFC status. That's
because RFC 2804 speaks of "the process for creating and maintaining
IETF standards." IANA assignments are part of standards maintenance
(IMHO, of course).

Don't forget that 2804 *also* says

"  - On the other hand, the IETF believes that mechanisms designed to
    facilitate or enable wiretapping, or methods of using other
    facilities for such purposes, should be openly described, so as to
    ensure the maximum review of the mechanisms and ensure that they
    adhere as closely as possible to their design constraints. The IETF
    believes that the publication of such mechanisms, and the
    publication of known weaknesses in such mechanisms, is a Good
    Thing."

So it's a delicate balance.

   Brian