Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-00.txt

2012-07-31 08:43:47

--On Tuesday, 31 July, 2012 05:41 -0400 Sam Hartman
<hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

I'd probably also recommend excluding paid employees of ISOC.
I cannot really think of rationale that applies to the
secretariat staff but not ISOC.

There is one, which is that the IETF and its leadership bodies
have just about zero influence over the recruitment and hiring
of those people.  But that same comment applies to IANA staff
(as distinct from the Secretariat).   We don't hire them, we
don't pay them, no money passes (in either direction) between
ICANN/IANA and the IASA/IETF, etc.

In theory, we could "designate" some other entity as the IANA,
which might or might not cost some current IANA staff their
jobs.   But there are questions about how realistic that is (not
part of this discussion).  We certainly cannot fire ISOC and,
given their charter, it isn't clear they could fire us.  If they
could, they'd have to fire the entire IETF, not individuals.  I
suppose one could argue that ISOC staff might have undue
influence on the behavior of the ISOC BoT as a confirming body,
but I find that really dubious.

    john