Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-00.txt

2012-07-31 17:43:43
Hi John,
At 05:48 AM 7/31/2012, John C Klensin wrote:
Much of this is about appearances.   For example, I would hope
that sitting ADs would have better sense than to volunteer for
the Nomcom even if the rules technically permitted that.  Nor

Yes.

would I expect Secretariat staff to volunteer (as far as I know,
none ever has despite the current rules apparently permitting

Yes.

The IETF usually says that people participate as individuals. It is up to each individual to see whether it is appropriate to volunteer for NomCom if there is possible conflict of interest. RFC 3777 discusses about stacking up the selection process (see primary affiliation) but it does get into other details which can influence the selection process. If the objective is to avoid self-selection, one could question the process for the appointment of the NomCom Chair.

Regards,
-sm