Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-00.txt

2012-07-31 07:49:44

--On Monday, 30 July, 2012 21:04 -0400 Barry Leiba
<barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org> wrote:

I have just posted the draft cited below, to adjust the NomCom
eligibility rules to make the following change:
This draft also excludes from eligibility as NomCom volunteers
paid employees:
   - the Secretariat
   - the RFC Editor

Barry,

I'll try to avoid going over the top this time (as I told you in
person, the "exclude WG Chairs" suggestion was entirely to
promote discussion rather than a proposal), but...

If one wants to exclude the Secretariat and RFC Editor staff --
presumably on the basis that they are appointed by, and draw
their salaries from, bodies partially appointed by the Nomcom --
then it seems to me that:

(1) You should explicitly exclude the IAD (for completeness of
the list and to avoid debate about whether he is already
excluded by the "sitting member" and/or "ex-officio" rules for
the IAOC.

(2) You should exclude anyone from the pool who has bid on or
held an IAOC-awarded contract in some period of time (I would
suggest a year) or who has bid on such a contract during that
period.  Anyone who actually serves on the Nomcom should also be
excluded from bidding on any such contract during their Nomcom
terms and perhaps for a year (or more?) thereafter.

Much of this is about appearances.   For example, I would hope
that sitting ADs would have better sense than to volunteer for
the Nomcom even if the rules technically permitted that.  Nor
would I expect Secretariat staff to volunteer (as far as I know,
none ever has despite the current rules apparently permitting
that).    But relatively short-term contractors are presumably
no different from the Secretariat in either the award or
management processes and the potential for patronage and
cronyism are actually much greater.

   john