RE: RFC and I-D Citation Tool

2012-07-31 15:28:06
Nice tool.

However, I am wondering why the tool changes the order of the names.
There is actually a reason why documents list names in a specific order.

Some of the citations appear to be incomplete, see RFC3410.

Cheers,
Mehmet

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf
Of ext Ole
Jacobsen
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:17 AM
To: The IETF
Cc: RSOC; Heather Flanagan; rsag(_at_)rfc-editor(_dot_)org
Subject: RFC and I-D Citation Tool

In The Internet Protocol Journal I have been using the following
citation format, best illustrated by an example:

 Julien Meuric, Diego Caviglia, Don Fedyk, Attila Takacs, and Lou
 Berger, "GMPLS Asymmetric Bandwidth Bidirectional Label Switched
 Paths (LSPs)," RFC 6387, September 2011.

So, that's full author names "and" before the last author name, title,
document number and date, using the American "quotation outside
punctuation rule."

I got tired of doing this "by hand" so I asked Henrik if he could
write me a tool. He did (THANKS!), and the result is here:

http://tools.ietf.org/tools/citation/

This will take either the draft name or the RFC number as input and
produce a citation similar to the one above. You can of course play
with the elements and generate a format that suits your own taste, for
example, for I-Ds, in print it might be good to have the FILE NAME as
the last entry:

 Adam Langley, "Serializing DNS Records with DNSSEC Authentication,"
 Internet Draft, work in progress, July 2011,
 draft-agl-dane-serializechain-01

...since I like having filenames or URLs on one line (not wrapping)
as much as possible.

Many thanks again to Henrik, and I hope you will find it useful too!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo