Re: RFC Errata: when to file, and when not to

2012-08-02 05:29:17
Hello Barry,

Thanks for explanation about errata, which must have been caused at least in part by an erratum that I submitted recently.

Just for the record, I want to mention that the errata report form at http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_report.php has a "type" field with two categories, "Technical" and "Editorial", where "Editorial" is defined in the help popup as: "spelling, grammar, punctuation, or syntax error that does not affect the technical meaning". This would directly contradict your "Criterion 2 means that minor typos are NOT appropriate errata."

However, my main point is a different one. At the end of your mail, you wrote:

> In particular, the errata system is NOT meant to be used as an issue
> tracker; please do not submit errata reports with the *intent* that they be
> marked as "Held for Document Update", to be used as an issue list later.
>   We have mailing lists, issue trackers, and wikis for this purpose.

Of course we have mailing lists, issue trackers, and wikis, but the problem is that none of them are for RFCs. And if there's a tracker for a bis version, it's not necessarily easy to find from the RFC.

Actually, even if somebody finds the -bis draft, in many (if not most) cases, these drafts don't contain pointers to issue trackers, wikis, or the like (a pointer to a mailing list, at least indirectly via the mention of a WG, should be there in most cases, I guess).

The question then comes up on whether we can do better. And my guess is that in this day and age of linked information, we should be able to do better. With the tools version of an RFC, which is quickly becoming the preferred version of many, it's already easy to find errata.

There are certainly many open questions when moving to better linking of the relevant information, such as "who approves it", "what's 'official' (wiki, issue tracker,...) and what not", and so on.