Re: Affirmation of the Modern Global Standards Paradigm

2012-08-02 03:58:56
Hi,

In general this seem like a Good Thing. However, I have a slight confusion
caused by these two extracts:

Openness. Standards processes are open to all interested and informed
parties.

4. Availability. Standards are made accessible to all for implementation and
deployment under fair terms. Given market diversity, fair terms may vary from
royalty-free (especially where open source is commonplace) to fair,
reasonable,
and non-discriminatory terms (FRAND).

"Open" in standards parlance is used in (at least) two ways - open process,
as in the first extract, and open publication.

I'd like to see the "Availability" clause changed to "Open Availability".
But then I'm confused - the text seems to mix up dependency on patents
with the question of access to the text of the standard. I think these two
aspects need to be separated. Then we'd get something like:

4. Open Availablity. The text of standards is made accessible to all,
free of charge or at low cost.

5. Implementability. Standards may be implemented and deployed under fair terms.
Given market diversity, fair terms may vary from royalty-free (especially where
open source is commonplace) to fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory terms
(FRAND).

Regards
   Brian Carpenter