Re: management granularity (Re: Meeting "lounges" at IETF meetings)

2012-08-07 22:49:25
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:
Hi Mark,
Again, choosing three or so locations ignores large parts of not only the
developing world (e.g., Africa, India), but also substantial portions of the
developed world with a reasonable track record of participation (e.g.,
Australia, New Zealand, Brazil).

@Mark : There has been a steady stream of participation from India for
atleast the last 4 years. By India, I mean Indians living in India and
not those living abroad (there have been quite a few of them around in
IETF for longer than 4+ years).

There were 10 participants from Australia and 4 participants from New
Zealand at the last IETF meeting.  There was interest to have the IETF in
New Zealand.  I guess that it was considered as difficult to convince the
cookie-eating mob that it was a good location.

@SM : Where do you get this data. It will be interesting to chart the
data for IETF participants over the years by country / affliation. If
we have the base location of participants then it will be interesting
to see the average distance over the years and participation based on
city.

 reasons for the IETF returning to Australia, or appearing nearby. And
going to Brazil or thereabouts, and India, and (eventually) Africa. Doesn't
have to be every year, but once a decade+ is not often enough.

+1

The IETF will likely go to Latin America first.  My guess is that it might
eventually go to India.  If it ever goes to Africa it will be more of a
political statement than anything else.

Regards,
-sm