Re: Last Call: Modern Global Standards Paradigm

2012-08-11 09:48:11

On 8/10/2012 3:52 PM, Eric Burger wrote:
Just as it is not fair to say that if the ITU-T gets its way the
world will end, it is also not fair to say there is no risk to
allowing the ITU-T to get a privileged, NON-VOLUNTARY, position in
the communications world.

Given the historical example of GOSIP, and its ilk, that you cited, we actually do have a basis for believing that a similar arrangement now will do quite a bit of damage.

The difference in timeliness and pragmatics between a voluntary, industry-collaborative effort like the IETF's, versus a legally-enforced position like the ITU's work, has already been demonstrated.

The latter never got their system running at scale.

Occasionally in an email presentation, I'll ask an audience who among them is familiar with X.400. Very few hands get raised, yet for 15 years, it was in exactly the legally-enforced position being proposed now.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking