Re: Last Call: Modern Global Standards Paradigm

2012-08-11 14:06:33
At 06:58 11-08-2012, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Traditionally, and still in some countries, the telecommunications
monopolist *is* the government, so defending the monopoly is directly
in the government's financial interest. In other countries, where
there's still a de facto monopoly, that monopolist is very good at
political lobbying. So in both those types of country, the vested
interest drives the government position. Add that to the governments
that want central control and/or monitoring of information, and you
get a strong bloc of political support for standards and regulations
that support monopoly, control, and eavesdropping.

Yes.

Nowadays some governments only own a share of the telecommunications monopoly. Other operators, for example some companies who are part of the European Telecommunications Network Operators' Association ( http://www.etno.be/Default.aspx?tabid=1239 ), have a financial interest in these monopolies.

The US does not need central control because most of the content accessed by its users is internal traffic. It's easy to apply local laws. The EU can also use its laws on a country basis. Revenue which is a significant incentive for content providers. Advertising revenue per user for a one content provider is as follows:

  US/Canada  $9.51
  EU         $4.86
  Asia       $1.79
  Other      $1.42

Here is a rough estimate of users for one content provider:

  US     158,758,940
  Brazil  54,902,560
  India   51,925,180
  UK      37,569,580
  France  24,345,920
  Italy   21,822,640
  Canada  17,474,940
  Spain   16,075,560
  Egypt   11,513,720
  Russia   5,560,080
  Romania  4,928,100
  Tunisia  3,107,040
  Libya      608,380
  China      520,780
  Uganda     444,560

If tomorrow Italy decides to adopt a "sending party pays" model it may still be financially viable for the content provider to remain in that market. It may not work that well for Uganda.

If tomorrow Libya decides that it would be in its interest to control access to the Internet, operators can route around the problem as we all know that's how the Internet works. Well, not really, if most of the traffic passes through one international gateway. You can send traffic over port 443 to prevent eavesdropping as that port is secure. Well, not really, if the user already trusts the wrong SSL certificate.

If you are on an Internet governance soapbox you might as well talk about how the US is evil and it should not be the only country running the Internet. You might also want to add that having only 13 root nameservers is all part of a conspiracy and that the IETF must fix that. Obviously someone must be running this Internet thing or else you will have to review your belief system.