Re: IETF...the unconference of SDOs

2012-09-07 13:12:47
On 9/5/12 5:12 AM, Michael Richardson {quigon} wrote:
It's also possible that some grey beards who
have only remote attended for years (Yes, I thinking about you
Melinda, Keith...) might have missed some subtle change in process.

This is a great note, Michael, and now that I'm attending again
I have to say that the changes are not at all subtle.  Processes
are more formal in part to protect the organization from legal
threats, in part because the boom in internetiness has increased
the number of bodies and therefore the need to negotiate both
relationships and space, and in part because of the reasons
you've identified.  There have also been some geopolitical changes
that ripple down into the IETF, and while there have been problems
and pressures as a result I think that there's been a very large
net benefit.  More has needed to be codified, though.

Let me suggest that at the IETF, where the mailing list is king, you
can't join the Elite if you can't quote email properly.

Well, okay, but I have to say that that's probably the least
of the failures of culture transfer.  I have a bigger problem
with the very large number of junk drafts being generated for
political reasons.

Still, I understand what you're saying and agree with it.  Maybe
we can start with getting something into the wg chairs wiki and
starting a discussion on the mailing list.

Melinda