Re: IETF...the unconference of SDOs

2012-09-07 13:37:11
On 09/05/12 09:12, Michael Richardson {quigon} allegedly wrote:
What I am writing about is that I think that we a problem with
transfer students... those who did their september elsewhere, and
have now switched schools for the winter semester.  It doesn't occur
to them that they don't know how the IETF works... it must work like
other SDOs, they think.

Yes, and within WGs there are attempts to teach culture.  However, the
IETF is an amalgamation of its participants, and the IETF culture
should be able to adapt.  Like any technical architecture, the basic
framework of the IETF should be robust and flexible enough that it can
adapt to unforeseen inputs.

Worse of all, I think, many of these people have doing what they
thought was email for around a decade, (yes, using Outlook), they
have no idea how email works, nor do they even know there is another
interface.  They simply do not know what happens to their
mis-formatted emails, and why often this results in people being
unable to listens to them in the mailing list.

We know how to deal with this in our friends and relatives every day,
and we can learn to do it in the IETF.  On occasion I've reorganized
received outlook mail into the form I wanted to respond to.  I did
once get asked "why don't you just put your response at the top like
everybody else" :-)  But anyway we can be lenient in what we receive.
The smart ones will adapt, themselves, so we won't have to do so for
long with them.

I don't have an answer to this; I'm not even sure there is a
problem; I have a problem of writing too long emails.

You can get help for that.

Let me suggest that at the IETF, where the mailing list is king, you
can't join the Elite if you can't quote email properly.

Maybe I'm also concerned because many in the former "elite" have
moved to Apple Mail, and it seems that it is bug compatible with
Outlook in it's assumption that format=flowed is the default, an act
which destroys email quoting, and therefore discussion.

and if you figure out the right settings in Thunderbird please let me
know.

On 09/07/12 14:12, Melinda Shore allegedly wrote:> On 9/5/12 5:12 AM,