Re: In Memoriam IETF web page

2012-10-22 14:46:08
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 03:03:58PM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:

But I still feel a mild level of need for a IETF HoF to recognize, and keep
prominent (for new members) the memory of past IETFers whose contributions
are worthy of recognition, but who probably don't rise to the level needed
for more major honours (e.g. the ISOC Internet Hall of Fame).

Do we need to wait until someone who has made significant contribution
to have passed away before we recognize their contributions?  Many
other organizations give awards out to people while they are still
alive to receive the Usenix Flame Award, or the ACM Turing Award, or
whatever.

I wonder if we are conflating the concept of a memorial and a Hall of
Fame because many of the more deserving recipients that might deserve
recognition and would be awards that would have to be given
posthumously.

                                        - Ted