Re: In Memoriam IETF web page

2012-10-22 12:15:45
    > From: Scott Brim <swb(_at_)internet2(_dot_)edu>

    > If this memorial wiki page could be open to anyone who ever contributed
    > to any I* and for whom there was at least one person who wanted to
    > contribute the information, then fine.

Then it turns into (effectively) a phone book - and I don't know too many
people who read phone books.

Not that I object to the creation of such a construct - far from it, I expect
that historians in decades to come would probably find it valuable and
interesting. I'm not sure too many others, would, though (at least, in its
entirety - for individual people they already know, they might find it good).

So it's not a replacement for a Hall of Fame, which people might read, or scan
through, in its entirety. (Steve Coya, for instance, I would like to see
memorialized in an IETF HoF. He did a great deal for us, but people who joined
recently will have no idea who he was.)

    > If not, then it would be yet another situation where there will be a
    > line between the in-crowd and the out-crowd.

Every award ever devised is, implicitly, a line between the 'betters' and the
'lessers'. So you're saying we should get rid of them all - the Nobels, the
EU's Sakharov Prize (for which I have a soft spot because the first one went
to one of my great heroes, Anatoly Marchenko), etc, etc?

(And no, I'm not ignoring the difficulties in picking honorees, in any
system. Maybe that difficulty makes it too much trouble to have an IETF HoF.
But that's a different point entirely from the ethical wholesomeness of having
honorees at all.)

        Noel