Re: In Memoriam IETF web page

2012-10-21 14:01:22
While I applaud the idea, I have to agree with Benson here. --dmm

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Benson Schliesser
<bensons(_at_)queuefull(_dot_)net> wrote:
I feel a little bad saying this, because these individuals deserve
recognition. But I rather think this memorial page is not a good idea.

If the IETF is around long enough, eventually all members of the community
will die. (Unless medical science makes some amazing achievements, I
suppose...) It's easy today to recognize a few people that made large
contributions earlier in the IETF's history. But at some point the list will
grow large, until it has lost its significance. And yet, at that point, it
may be unseemly to stop the tradition, and even more unseemly to delete the
existing memorial.

I don't want to be insensitive, and I'm sorry to point this out. But I think
we're better off with heart-felt, personal memorials from living people that
remember and care about the departed.

-Benson