Re: don't overthink, was Just so I'm clear

2012-10-24 16:06:13

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012, John Levine wrote:

The legal issue raised by a previous reply that resonates with me is
that someone unsatisfied with a business decision by the adjusted
IAOC membership could sue based on documented process not being
followed to appoint the membership.

Are you aware of any case law that suggests that any U.S. court would
be interested in interpreting or enforcing the nitpicky details of the
IETF's governance, or that there is any reason to believe that there
are third party beneficiaries to the IAOC's operating rules?

As I understand the situation, the IAOC is responsible for administrative
decisions such as contracting for venues, issuing RFPs, etc. That
means that there are third parties who will be impacted by IAOC
decisions.

PS: Perhaps we can all stop playing Junior Lawyer now.

As soon as we have been assured that the plan and questions raised
have been reviewed and judged by the real IETF lawyers to not be
a concern