Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive(_at_)w3(_dot_)org from September 2012)

2012-10-24 16:49:23
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012, Jan Algermissen wrote:
On Oct 24, 2012, at 1:47 AM, Ian Hickson <ian(_at_)hixie(_dot_)ch> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012, Jan Algermissen wrote:

What matters is that nothing of the existing URI spec *changes*.

Can you agree on that?

Do you mean the actual text, or the normative meaning of the text?

I ideally mean the actual text, but it might be that there is some
overlap in the construction algorithms - I am not expert enough there to
judge that.

Well I definitely don't think we should constrain a spec editor to being
forced to use text he didn't even write, that seems like a very poor way
to write a spec. Especially given that here the text is already spread
across two specs (URI and IRI).

I think it makes sense to be conservative and say that URL synatx
conformance requirements should probably not change from what the IRI spec
says today unless there's a really compelling reason, though.

The point really was to make it very clear that *additional* stuff is
going to be said and that existing implementations that follow the URI
spec strictly remain conforming.

Well unless there's a very good reason (e.g. following the current specs
involves a security vulnerability or something like that) then I'd think
that was a reasonably strong technical requirement, sure. But that's
independent of how the spec is written. It's trivial to write a spec that
uses existing text while making all existing implementations
non-conforming, for example (just add a line that says "implementations
MUST NOT do what the following section says" or something...).