Re: Format=flowed quoting (was "Re: IETF...the unconference of SDOs") In-reply-to: <p06240600cca730fbf54c@[99.111.97.136]>

2012-10-24 19:21:35

Randall Gellens <randy(_at_)qti(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:
    >> Warning: this message was generated by Apple Mail.

    RG> But not using Format=Flowed.

    RG> This reflects a misunderstanding of Format=Flowed.  Properly
    RG> generated F=F has lines of no more than 78 characters.  One of
    RG> the primary goals of F=F is good interoperability between
    RG> clients that support F=F and those that support traditional pure
    RG> plain text email.  What you're describing is a symptom of HTML
    RG> quoting (or a surprisingly poor F=F implementation):

so, really, what you are saying is that my complaint is not about a poor
F=F implementation, but in fact, not even being attempted.  It's just a
really poor text/plain part generated to go along with an (often absent)
text/html part, combined with a forced "upgrade" from text/plain to
text/html on the display side.

That's why they aren't marking, or paying attention to format=, because
they didn't even know about it.

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-