Re: [RFC 3777 Update for Vacancies]

2012-10-26 09:29:49
I've read the draft.  I think its the wrong approach, mainly because its
focusing on the current problem rather than a new mechanism.

In general, I know of 5 ways an elected or appointed position may become
vacant:  resignation, death, incapacity, recall or expulsion.

We currently have mechanisms in place for 3 of the 5.  I'm not sure at this
point how to deal with incapacity, and I think it can actually be handled
(except possibly for the IETF chair) under recall or expulsion or resignation.
(There's also removal for appointees where the appointing entity has removal
rights).

I'm using "expulsion" here the way its used in the US political system - a
legislative body may choose to expel one of its members for various reasons.  I
propose that we define such a mechanism for the IETF bodies.

See below.

And I'm not proposing that this be adopted in a hurry to fix the current
problem.

Mike

Expulsion - General:

Members may be expelled from the bodies to which they belong by votes of other
members of those bodies.  The expelling bodies need not give or have any public
reason for the expulsion, but should consider the impact on the standards
process prior to proceeding with the expulsion.

Expulsion - the IETF chair:

The IETF chair is not subject to expulsion.  In the event the IETF chair is not
available, and at the request of 2/3 of the remaining voting members of the
IESG, the ISOC President shall appoint a temporary replacement with the advice
and consent of the IAB who shall serve until the end of the IETF chair's term
whenever the IETF chair is unavailable.  The recommendation is that a former
IETF or IAB chair be appointed if available.  The replacement serves at the
pleasure of the ISOC president and may be replaced if, in the sole judgement of
the ISOC president, replacement is required.

Expulsion of liaison members:

If 2/3 of the voting members (minus the liaison member in question if that
member is a voting member) concur, the liaison member is expelled and the
appointing organization shall appoint a replacement.  A member not subject to
removal by their appointing body is not considered a liaison member for the
purposes of this section.

Expulsion of all other members.

If 2/3 of the voting members (minus the member in question, if that member is a
voting member) concur notice shall be sent to the appropriate IETF mailing
lists.  The notice shall be repeated three times with a two week interval
between each notice.  The notice shall indicate the intent to expel the member
and shall request the member show cause to the confirming body as to why the
expulsion should not occur.

One week after the last notice, the appropriate confirming body (e.g. IAB for
IESG, IESG for IAOC, etc), shall consider the expulsion request and any
response given by the member.  If 2/3 of the voting members of the confirming
body concur, the member shall be removed and the position be considered vacant.