Re: Common sense, process, and the nature of change

2012-11-09 10:09:16
Ted: Very nice but I would go further.  You believe that everyone in the
IETF has either internalized the mission or will in the course of
participating.  I think the IETF has already lost that unity of mission,
particularly with the influx of corporate participants who were not
around in the idealistic days.  For them the new normal is to use the
IETF as a tool for creating competitive advantage - bleeding the golden
goose while they feed it.  Even back at the IETF@20 celebration, when
long-time participants got up and spoke passionately (and really well)
about the shared mission and values, there were people listening who
reacted with "that's not why I'm here, I think they're out of touch with
the new IETF".  Even having a unified mission is no longer a shared
principle.  So I would guess the main concern, the main anxiety leading
to love of process is not that our future leaders won't be able to
execute on the shared mission we all feel - rather it is that our future
leaders won't have the same mission or even the same principles we do
now, and they cannot be trusted to execute based common sense - there
won't be any "common" sense.

Scott