Re: Common sense, process, and the nature of change

2012-11-09 13:18:19
On 11/10/2012 9:26 AM, Randy Presuhn wrote:
Even in those cases, however, behaving as though those participants
were primarily motivated by the IETF mission generally seems the best
way to sustain the collaboration, or at least the illusion of collaboration,
and hopefully get *something* done.

This is quite possibly where peer pressure or groupthink or
whatever can possibly have a gating effect, I hope.  In the
best of all possible worlds understanding that cranking out
vast numbers of crappy documents reduces your effectiveness
within the organization because other participants read your
crappy documents and assume that you don't know what you're
doing.  Reputation within the organization matters.

That said, it's also important to think about how we make
decisions.  Consensus-based decision-making does require some
sort of shared commitment to the process and to organizational
happy stuff, because it's otherwise too easy to block progress.
Again, I think it's worthwhile to find some way to communicate
that if you're working within the IETF and you promote things
that are good for your employer and bad for everybody else,
people notice and your overall effectiveness suffers.

Melinda