Re: in-person vs remote participation (was: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF])

2012-11-12 12:16:47

On 11/12/2012 8:29 AM, George, Wes wrote:
   Remote participants are figuratively (and often
literally) invisible, and therefore people forget about them, and
they get relegated to second-class status as a participant.

It is easy for this to be true; it takes effort to make it not true.

I believe the Meetecho facility for displaying both slides and the jabber transcript on the screen, simultaneous, significantly changes the dynamic. Everyone naturally sees postings from remote participants.

It still takes meeting management effort to include remote folks into the face-to-face discussion flow, but their presence is more universally seen automatically.

 Even if
it's only subconsciously, the in-person participants don't see remote
participants to be "as committed" to participation as those who gave

Interesting point. I think that remote participants who already have established a strong participation role are less likely to be viewed that way. But frankly, I think even local participants with little IETF history are more likely to be discounted (or at least less counted.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking