Re: in-person vs remote participation (was: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF])

2012-11-12 16:38:29

"George" == George, Wes <wesley(_dot_)george(_at_)twcable(_dot_)com>
writes:
    George> First and foremost, the act of getting away from the office
    George> and the financial and time commitments involved in traveling
    George> to a physical meeting a few times a year tends to reinforce
    George> the need to "prepare" for the meeting by reading drafts,
    George> catching up on IETF work that has languished, etc. The

+1
I don't see how we will reproduce this online.

also, we talk about cross-area review, and sometimes this is faciliated
by "WG tourists"...

When participating remotely when there were 12 hours TZ differences, a
really really really hard part was explaining to my kid, that really, I
wasn't home.

    George> The other things that become important are the "hallway
    George> track" and the "many fine lunches and dinners". Those come
    George> up when talking about attending IETF in person, but often
    George> it's meant to imply that those involved are there for the
    George> wrong reasons (i.e. IETF as company-sponsored tourism or job
    George> search) rather than to acknowledge its value in ensuring

+1

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-