RE: Barely literate minutes

2012-11-29 03:27:04
As a chair I always find it useful to go back and review the audio/Meetecho
recording following the meeting and whilst doing so I might as well tidy up the
minutes.

The F2F meeting time can be quite hectic for the chairs and I tend to be
concentrating on making sure that we stay on time and everybody gets a fair
chance to say what they want to.  So it is a must to go back over the recording
and make sure I understood all the points people made during the meeting and I
might as well check the minutes whilst doing so.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Dave Crocker
Sent: 28 November 2012 21:46
To: Peter Saint-Andre
Cc: IETF discussion list
Subject: Re: Barely literate minutes

IMHO it is the chairs' responsibility to listen to the audio
recording
and produce minutes from that (or at least check the scribe's minutes
against the audio recording). I've done this in the past (full
disclosure: not always) and it is a lot of work.

I strongly disagree.

Chairs have a high workload already.  A strength of a working group
needs to be its ability to distribute work amongst participants.

If a working group cannot obtain the services of a participant willing
to take notes and be responsible for getting wg review of them, then
the
wg has bigger problems.

d/

ps. I'll repeat that I think f2f needs to be essentially irrelevant to
the assessment of wg consensus, except perhaps as an efficiency hack
that permits more terse exchanges on the mailing list.
--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking