Re: When to adopt a draft as a WG doc (was RE: "IETF work is done on the mailing lists")

2012-12-01 13:07:56

On 11/30/2012 3:29 PM, Barry Leiba wrote:
There is no formal process that involves "adopting" anything.

If you mean that we haven't documented a/the formal process, you are
correct.  If you mean that the IETF has not moved towards rather formal
steps for explicitly adopting working group drafts, I disagree.
Today, there is typically explicit text in the charter about adoption or
there is explicit wg approval.

Indeed: we always have the option of having the charter limit
management options.

Barry, I think you are trying to make a very different point from the one I am trying to make.

I think you are trying to assert that there is flexibility while I am trying to assert that there is common practice. These are not mutually exclusive points.

My point about a formal process having emerged is that a chair/wg wanting to adopt a document has a well-established set of common practice. It's not well (or at all) documented, but it exists in how working groups typically do things.

I was not trying to comment on the degree to which that process is mandated. I acknowledge that fully documenting common practice, to make it "official" formal process, must combine both lines of concern.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking