Re: draft-ietf-appsawg-json-pointer-07 - array index for end ofarray

2012-12-17 14:54:37
This was discussed in the Working Group, but it wasn't felt that the added
complexity was worth it; there's a strong feeling that this spec should be as
simple as possible.

Might I suggest, however, using -1 instead of "-" to refer to the last item
in an
array, as this provides two benefits:

1) Allows for adding the complexity down the road in a compatible way, should
   there be need
2) Uniformity; i.e. always using integer values for referring to array
elements.

I have to say that this suggestion sounds very compelling to me, for
both reasons.  I know there's a bunch of running code out there, but
this (and perhaps teasing apart the "add" and "insert" concepts into
separate verbs) seems worth the bother.

Barry, as participant