Re: [sidr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-sidr-algorithm-agility-08.txt> (Algorithm Agility Procedure for RPKI.) to Proposed Standard

2012-12-17 15:42:51
All,

Sorry for the late reply.  I realize these comments come after the 12/14
deadline, but it is my hope that they can still inform any active decision
processes.

I'd like to mention that some of us have calculated that the global RPKI will
take a significant amount of time to crawl [1], and the algorithm agility draft
(as it is currently proposed) will almost double that time, because it will
necessarily almost double the number of objects in the global RPKI.  I
personally worry a lot about this approach, as I feel it will likely lead to an
operationally unviable standard, in which routing will be unable to adapt to
changes in configuration for days, weeks, or even months, because of this
design (described in [1]).

The lateness of this message is simply a consequence of the fact that our
analyses have taken longer than we planned, and I do apologize for that.

Thanks,

Eric

[ 1 ] http://techreports.verisignlabs.com/tr-lookup.cgi?trid=1120005&rev=2