Re: WCIT outcome?

Also, it is exactly because ITU was in charge of resource allocations
such as radio spectrum and top-level POTS dialling codes that it was
a very plausible potential home for IANA in 1997-8, before ICANN was
created. Some of the ITU people who were active in that debate were just
as active in the preparation for WCIT in 2012.

Just to avoid any misconstruction here:

While there might have been a plausible case to be made, for having the ITU house the IANA functions, I believe there was no (serious) pursuit of that alternative at the time.

Around that time, the ITU did have a representative who participated in the ill-fated pre-ICANN IAHC effort (of which I was a part, including editor of its proposal).

But the IAHC only had the very narrow scope of suggesting a few gTLDs to add. It had no formal part in the much larger question of finding a home for IANA.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking