Re: I-D Action: draft-moonesamy-rfc2050-historic-00.txt

2013-01-12 18:34:45

On 1/12/2013 4:19 PM, David Conrad wrote:
I believe RFC 2050 does (and did) _not_ address "technical
specifications of addresses", but rather documented (past tense) the
then "best current practice" of policies associated with the
operational deployment of those addresses for a short period around
1995 or so.

The Internet has moved on. The IETF still has the responsibility to
define address technical specifications (e.g., an IPv6 address is 128
bits long), however I do not believe the IETF now has the
responsibility to define operational deployment policy or processes
(if it ever did).

As such, I think it perfectly appropriate to move RFC 2050 to
"historic" since, in fact, it actually is.

The document's abstract declares the document's purposes to be:

   This document describes the registry system for the distribution of
   globally unique Internet address space and registry operations.
   This document describes the IP assignment policies currently used by
   the Regional Registries to implement the guidelines developed by the
   IANA. The guidelines and these policies are subject to revision at
   the direction of the IANA.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there's a simple issue here that should be resolved through a simple question: Does the document still satisfy either of these purposes sufficiently and accurately. My understanding from this thread (and elsewhere) is that the answer is no. By definition, the document's role is therefore Historic and it only makes sense to make this official.

If there is content in the document that happens to still be useful, it should be extracted and published separately, so that no reader will suffer confusion and think that the remainder of the document remains applicable.

d/

ps. A replacement document that /is/ sufficient to the current Internet would be a service to the community.

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking