RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview-08.txt> (An Overview of Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) Mechanisms) to Informational RFC

2013-01-24 10:23:28
This is a useful and well-written document and I support its publication. I
have a few comments which I would be glad if they were addressed:

1. I believe that the document must include reference to TRILL OAM, referencing
draft-ietf-trill-oam-req-04 (which is close to approval) and including a
section on TRILL OAM in the table in 1.4.

2. The reference to Non-IETF documents in section 1.5 should mention the fact
that non-IETF documents deal in many cases with OAM functions below the IP
layer (layer 2, "2.5") and that operators use in some cases a multi-layered OAM
approach function of the way their networks are architectured.

3. Section 1.5 mentions [IEEE802.1ag] under 'OAM mechanisms for Ethernet based
networks'. In reality CFM as defined by IEEE 802.1ag is designed to apply for
all bridged networks in IEEE 802, whatever the media protocol is being used.

4. Together with .1ag I would recommend to also include in the table and list
of references the CFM extensions defined in 802.1Qaw - Management of
data-driven and data-dependent connectivity faults

5. I am a little concerned of this document defining - once more - in sections
3.4.3.8 and 3.4.3.9 metrics and speak about measurement methods for Packet Loss
and Packet Delay. I would prefer to refer to IPPM RFCs for this purpose

6. Section 1.1 mentions delay variation when describing the Delay Measurement
(DM) function, but section 3.4.3.9 'forgets' it. I believe that delay variation
is important and needs to be covered.

Regards,

Dan