RE: When is a 3933 experiment necessary? [Was: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC]

2013-01-30 06:15:30
I believe that Adrian did right in this case. This was IMO one of the
situations which in Spencer's language was 'middle path between lightweight
IESG decisions and full process BCP revisions' and a 3933 experiment could have
proved it right or wrong, useful or not. The community could not reach
consensus to run the experiment and this is one possible outcomes when such
questions are asked.

Same as Adrian I do not believe that this lack of consensus invalidates process
experiments. What I feel is that the key condition in the list drawn by Adrian
is the second:

- Very clear expression of the purpose of the experiment and how it will be
evaluated

Almost in all cases when this condition was not met I noticed the discussions
ran wild and became unfocussed, discussing not about the proposal to run the
experiment, but about that subject of the experiment and its presumed results
before it had even been started.

Dan