Re: Changing the value of RFCs not numbers (was Re: The RFC Acknowledgement)

2013-02-12 02:55:50

On Feb 12, 2013, at 2:57 AM, Abdussalam Baryun
<abdussalambaryun(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Many said to me before as you do RFC don't change, it is already known
in any org that documents don't change when published.

I think the reason this keeps coming up, is that the IETF documents are usually
referenced by number rather than title. So you'd say that your system is
compliant with RFC 5280 rather than saying that it is compliant with "Internet
X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and Certificate Revocation List
(CRL) Profile".

In other organizations, like the W3C, documents are referred to by name. So
"Content Security Policy 1.0" is called that when it's proposed, when it's
discussed, and when it's published. Even a later revision might be called
"Content Security Policy 1.1", so version numbers, while they exist and are
accessible, are mostly hidden from the users.

Yoav