Musing on draft-resnick-on-consensus-01

2013-02-14 17:03:26
Hi Pete,

I was musing on draft-resnick-on-consensus-01.  In the Section 1:

 "We don't require full consensus; that would allow a single
  intransigent person who simply keeps saying "No!"  to stop
  the process cold.  We only require rough consensus: If the
  chair of a working group determines that a technical issue
  brought forward by an objector has been truly considered by
  the working group ..."

The above is about working group consensus. I suggest adding some text in the Introduction Section which mentions that it is about that. The "We only require rough consensus" can be misunderstood as being the bar in an IETF-wide call.

 "Participants ask, "Why are we bothering with this 'humming'
  thing?  Wouldn't a show of hands be easier?"

The IAB recently had a discussion about "bottom-up organizational modes". If I am not mistaken (please correct me) the IETF is the only organization that uses "humming". I would say that it works in the IETF as it is part of the culture; it cannot be grafted on an organization. There are cases when a show of hands can be used. The sentence that follows the quoted text explains when to use "humming".

In Section 2:

  "The key is to separate those choices that are simply unappealing
   from those that are truly problematic."

I leave it to you to see whether you want to use the following:

"Any attempt to determine consensus is difficult if the issues are technical, economic and political. Impassioned discussion, with little technical content, leads to an impass. It is up to the chair to tease apart the points and find
    out how to reduce the amount people disagree on. Find the bounds of the
    conversation. Separate out the technical issues."

Credits to Ralph Droms for the above.

  'This also brings up an important point about reaching consensus:
   Consensus does not really involve compromising.  "Compromising"
   implies that there remains something wrong with the outcome, but
   that the objector has simply given up.'

I read "compromise" as something intermediate between two things. Consensus is used for conflict resolution. It's not possible to resolve an issue if the two sides are not ready to compromise. If you have two sides you end up with a King Solomon scenario. It is very difficult to resolve the issue then. Maybe "conciliatory" may be a better term to express the idea (see text quoted above).

The draft uses "objection" and "objector" in discussing about consensus. That works in a formal or legalistic context. In an IETF context you end up being the person standing out as you raised an objection. Arguments do not have to be for or against (objection). It's difficult for me to find the words to explain this. I see that you used the word "concerns" in Section 4.

In Section 3:

  "If the chair finds, in their technical judgement, that the issue
   has truly been considered, and that the vast majority of the working"

Is it "technical judgement" or "the technical issue has been considered"? For the former, the chair ends up taking a technical decision. For the latter, the chair only has to use judgement.

  "that the vast majority of the working group has come to the conclusion
   that the tradeoff is worth making"

If you consider the arguments instead you don't have to get into majority and minority.

 "Now, a conclusion of only rough consensus relies heavily on the good
  judgement of the consensus caller..."

I like that paragraph.

RFC 3929 broaches consensus from a different angle. I'll highlight the following: "There must be a clear statement of the decision to be reached". The decision process used to get there is based on consensus. However, it is not easy to attain consensus. Rough consensus is the lesser barrier when consensus is not possible. In other words rough consensus is not the default choice (re: rough consensus and running code). The draft explains that by using "single intransigent person" as an example. Section 2 discusses about lack of disagreement. Lack of disagreement can also be a sign that the working group has not carefully considered the question.

It is not possible to reach consensus on the musings in the draft. I'll pick a sentence: "it is a good solution to a real problem, even if the non-experts don't have the ability to fully judge the details". There is a theory that the good solution would be chosen by a group which includes a significant number of non-experts. If the questions being asked are too complex, it can end up with the wrong decision being taken. If the group is segmented (e.g. multishareholder :-)), it can lead to a biased decision.

There are different types of consensus; e.g. the consensus of the girls, which is unappealable.

Regards,
-sm