Re: Musing on draft-resnick-on-consensus-01

2013-02-15 11:39:26
Not to oversimplify the problem or the pursuit for a solution, I think there are some possible simple, but perhaps not practical, solutions to the concerns you cite.

- Faster Reviews, Resolutions by external people, i.e. IESG or a new technical review group specifically for this purpose. When the WG itself is at a impasse, the AD should be able to resolve it, but not always there too, due to the issue below.

- IETF needs to recruit more leaders, not overload existing ones. IMO, we have fewer leaders responsible for wider cross areas. This is good for proper integration and management but without experience, there could be a lost of synergism, diverse engineering insights. Singular mindsets and philosophies can and do emerge (perhaps just with aging).

Currently, I think the system is designed for appeals to occur. When apathy develops, lack of confidence in the work, the threats of appeals are the last efforts for corrections. Its no wonder you see new process pressures to produce ideas to circumvent them, i.e. fast tracking, filtering or watering down concerns, even using tools to excommunicate (moderate, block) participants, etc.

Overall, I think more diversity needed, not less. These actions can help with minimizing potential conflicts. (Note, this is not suggesting your ideas is not about diversity).

--
HLS