Re: presenting vs discussion in WG meetings (was re:Remote Participation Services)

On 15/02/2013 20:57, Keith Moore wrote:
But this makes me realize that there's a related issue.   An expectation
that WG meetings are for presentations, leads to an expectation that
there's lots of opportunity to present suggestions for new work to do.
WG time scheduled for considering new work can actually take away time
for discussion of ongoing work.   And once the time is scheduled and
people have made commitments to travel to meetings for the purpose of
presenting new work, chairs are understandably reluctant to deny them
their allotted presentation time.
This is closely related to a well-known problem at academic conferences.
Many people can only get funded to travel if they are presenting a paper.
It's common practice, therefore, to have either a poster session (which
allows massively parallel presentations) or hot-topics sessions (with a
strict and very short time-limit). We tend to throw the hot-topics sessions
into WG meetings, which is not ideal.

Why not have a poster session as part of Bits-n-Bites? It would give
new ideas a chance to be seen without wasting WG time. Make it official
enough that people can use it in their travel requests.
That sounds like a great idea to me.

Keith