Re: IETF chair's blog

2013-02-25 00:52:46
Hi, Arturo, all,

It does not seem appropriate for a technical standards organization dedicated
to making the Internet work better through the development of open standards to
implicitly endorse "communication protocols" which are based on closed access
to distributed databases through interfaces that can and do change at the whim
of the organizations that control them, further where those organizations have
demonstrated a willingness to assert editorial control over the content they
disseminate.

If a social network were to emerge that allows open participation at _every_
level, based on an open application protocol therefor, that would be something
different. I fear that network effects have already made  such a thing unlikely
in this iteration of "Internet x.0".

(Aside: I myself have used all three listed networks to get attention for ISOC
functions at the chapter level, though I'm uneasy about that. I won't dispute
that they're great for outreach, and when you're doing outreach, you have to go
where the people are. In my defense, though, I was advertising a talk wherein I
discussed why it's a bad idea to rely on such closed platforms. :) )

Cheers,

Brian

On Feb 25, 2013, at 2:21 AM, Arturo Servin <aservin(_at_)lacnic(_dot_)net>