Re: IETF Challenges

2013-03-02 12:56:55
These are my opinions and a short list of what has been on my mind come IETF related.

I like what I read, in particular the recognition what you called "The age of permissionless innovation." A long time challenge, but something that may be address with seminars on ethical principles and global impacts, establishing "Global Commons" and directions. Invite a lawyer to give a talk perhaps at an IETF meeting or an RFC on "Global Commons for the IETF" if not already produced in some fashion.

I think overall, improving the IETF presence or "marketing" is an important direction. Getting a person with technical sales/marketing and strong engineering experience can help.

I think increase participation is necessary of course, especially among the younger. Part of the marketing, etc.

I think the RFC framework is a good tool for "Technical Writing" for most disciplines. The IETF should leverage it as a tool for young technical writers in other areas. Its a blend of functional and technical specifications, and it does take a good skill to make it work in the IETF. The help of others involved certainly helps. But there are things in the IETF that could be "sold" per se to the science and math market/schools interest, if only in availability.

I think social media exploration should be done, either using one of the current centralized computers (FaceBook, Twitter, etc) or install a open source "Social/Private BBS/Network" software at the IETF computers (We are willing to donate the group ware software, but I'm sure that is not wise in general). We will have the obvious barriers to overcome of the old vs new and the mix. Single source of information should be a important requirement in this infrastructure for backward compatibility.

Related with the inability of increasing participation, especially with leadership quality, is allowing for monopolization of work to stagnant growth as it can put a barrier to synergism and continued interest. It can also increase the potential for conflict of interest (monopolized IETF work). Perhaps a concept of limits of the number of simultaneous working groups and/or project a person or group has should be explored. We don't want to overload work on cogs as it can dampen progress. This may be a matter of recognizing IETF "Project" research versus "Project" research efforts and the development of standards. Project is more for experimental work. Product is for real products or implementations out there. The latter IMV has been problematic with conflict of interesting monopolizing directions and work, or the progress of the work (i.e. stops interest).

I think the "Rough Consensus" tool is outdated or better, doesn't applied as well it did in years past where we working in a large unknown growth environment. We still are, but the difference is the much greater potential to have sharper engineering insights and the instant ability to simulate, emulate and test conditions unlike ever before. Often we have proof of concept with a high statistical presence of data, enough to justify a direction to take. Rough Consensus decisions should not trump "good ideas" especially when decided by monopolized groups as indicated above. In any case, I think the Rough Consensus tool should be reviewed. I believe Pete Resnick is touching base with how Rough Consensus is used in his I-D.

That is it for now, if not done. Thank you for the opportunity to provide my viewpoints on IETF matters and its future.

--
Hector Santos, CTO/CEO
Santronics Software, Inc.