Re: [IETF] Petition for "We the People" US Federal Government petition process: Create a Request for Comment (RFC) process similar to the IETF's for taking in suggestions for innovation from public.

2013-03-08 10:10:21
not a Joke, Warren (and IETF).

The petition process is the best I have found to put in unsolicited
suggestions. The RFI process and public comments are the ways to put in
solicited comments on some topic.  There is not a good merit-based process
to put suggestions and ideas into the government,

I am trying to get an effective one created.  The IETF Internet Draft
process is the most effective I can think of for a grassroots process to
take input and kill the Internet trolls who hijack such processes..

I would appreciate your help, as well as the rest of the networking
industry's help, in highlighting the issue to people in the federal
government who can change it and put in an effective process.

There is innovation going on in the government, and they are starting to
put in place processes for innovation internally, but the government does
not have an effective process for gathering ideas from the public and
validating them based on merit.  The Whitehouse's "We the People" website
is a popularity contest which occasionally produces interesting things,
like the recent "Build the Death Star" petition response from the
Whitehouse.

General Services Administration (GSA) is probably one of the most
innovative government agencies in relation to IT.  NIST and DHS NPPD and
the DHS S&T directorates are very innovative as well, particularly in
regards to cybersecurity and information assurance.  State department as
well.

Casey Coleman of the GSA writes a great blog on the innovation occurring in
the government, and is one of the most forward looking CIOs.
http://gsablogs.gsa.gov/innovation/

GSA is trying to innovate.  Read this article:
http://www.govexec.com/management/2013/03/hunting-great-ideas-should-be-everyday-affair-gsa-chief-says/61674/

The Whitehouse is doing some interesting things as well

Hackathons<http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/03/02/looking-back-white-house-hackathon>
Exposing government data sets Open Government
initiative<http://www.whitehouse.gov/open/around>
Data.gov
Presidential Innovation Fellows
program<http://www.whitehouse.gov/innovationfellows>

Help me highlight a great process that works (at least considerably better
than petitions) for collecting and vetting ideas from anybody on how and
why something should be changed, and perhaps it will be implemented.

The petition:  http://wh.gov/G29p <http://wh.gov/G29p>

Regards,

Sam Crooks
http://www.linkedin.com/in/samcrooks/
sam(_dot_)a(_dot_)crooks(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Warren Kumari <warren(_at_)kumari(_dot_)net>