Re: [MMUSIC] Update on Orlando time for human language draft discussion

2013-03-11 09:22:15
On 03/10/2013 09:08 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:
At 6:16 PM +0000 3/10/13, Keith (Keith) DRAGE wrote:

My understanding was that the idea was to label a particular media stream, rather than (for example) a SIP body.

 Different media streams could have different labels.

Keith is right. As an example, SIP might be used to setup a call with an audio stream using English and a video stream using American Sign Language.

SDP also allows other protocols besides SIP to be used to establish the session.

OK, but that's not what I really was thinking about....

RFC 3282 (and its predecessors as part of the HTTP protocol) distinguished between two distinct fields:

- "Here's what I'm willing to accept" - where prioritization is important
- "Here's what I'm going to use" - where prioritization is not only unimportant, it's meaningless

It might be good if whatever comes out of this discussion supports making that distinction.

You may also want to think about how language tags interact with direction - if you're talking to an interpreter, where audio going one way is English and what comes back is in Spanish, are you able to mark the RTP session (if that's what you're marking, and not the media stream) as "sending English, receiving Spanish"?

But this level of detail doesn't really belong on the IETF list - which list should we use?