Re: IETF 86 Admin Plenary Minutes

2013-03-19 10:01:32

On 3/18/2013 1:54 PM, Russ Housley wrote:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/86/minutes/minutes-86-iesg-opsplenary

Please review and comment.

The difference between a 'venting' session and a 'working' session is that the latter produces action items that actually produce further... action.

For the most part, the open microphone portion of plenaries tends to serve merely as venting sessions, and sometimes as an informal 'chat'; if anything productive develops, it is typically not linked to open mic activity that possibly triggered to it or contributed to it.

Obviously not part of the basic note-taking effort, but I suggest that IETF management groups explicitly consider the task of augmenting the notes with published action items they are taking from the sessions.

To that end, the note-taking format might explicitly mark explicit requests for action. Marking something does not assign it or commit to followup. So the above suggestion would still apply. But the notation might make the set of potential action items easier to find in the notes.

Some examples are obvious, while some require a bit of detective work:

Sean Turner mentioned that a year ago someone asked him how to become
a WG chair. Asking is the first step! He thinks that if people want to
actively participate, they need to volunteer to write drafts etc.

Barry Leiba agreed that asking is useful. But the other way round is
also important: we need to actively look around for good talent.

This highlights some important cultural and procedural guidance -- and an explicit action item -- they're worth making more accessible in one or another 'guidance' documents.

Merely to offer an example notation:

   Sean Turner mentioned that a year ago someone asked him how to become
a WG chair. Asking is the first step! He thinks that if people want to
actively participate, they need to volunteer to write drafts etc. {guidance/leadership}

   Barry Leiba agreed that asking is useful. But the other way round is
also important: we need to actively look around for good talent. {action/leadership}

and

Peter Saint-Andre mentioned that during a WG meeting, SM and he were
chatting about how to get more people on the Applications Area
Directorate. Some people are shy about going to the mic. If you are
not a native English speaker or if you are not comfortable to speak in
public or if you are a woman in a room of 50 males, you might not feel
comfortable. We might want to think about other ways to reach out and
get other people's input than the ways we have right now.

   Peter Saint-Andre mentioned that during a WG meeting, SM and he were
chatting about how to get more people on the Applications Area
Directorate. Some people are shy about going to the mic. If you are
not a native English speaker or if you are not comfortable to speak in
public or if you are a woman in a room of 50 males, you might not feel
comfortable. We might want to think about other ways to reach out and
get other people's input than the ways we have right now. {participation/wg}

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking