Re: RFC 6921 on Design Considerations for Faster-Than-Light (FTL) Communication

The communication times don't change if at least one communicator is not
moving in light speed.

AB> I meant the communication times MAY change if at least one
communicator is moving in light speed.

On 4/2/13, Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
RFC6921>It is well known that as we approach the speed of light, time
slows down.
AB> I know that time slows for something when it is in speed of light,
but communication is not something moving. If the packet is in speed
of light we may reduce the comm-delay but never less than zero. The
communication times don't change if at least one communicator is not
moving in light speed.

My comment is that I think this RFC is not logical, and I don't
understand its recommendations. There is no way that a packet can be
received before send, packet-time never changes communicators-time
while the positions of both Tx and Rx are semi-fixed (change is
relative to communicators' times not their signal). I think the
communication-times may change when the communicators are at/above
speed of light not the signal/packet. Is my physics correct?

AB

On 4/1/13, rfc-editor(_at_)rfc-editor(_dot_)org
<rfc-editor(_at_)rfc-editor(_dot_)org> wrote:
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6921

        Title:      Design Considerations for Faster-Than-Light (FTL)
                    Communication
        Author:     R. Hinden
        Date:       1 April 2013
        Mailbox:    bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 15100
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-hinden-FTL-design-considerations-00.txt

We are approaching the time when we will be able to communicate
faster than the speed of light.  It is well known that as we approach
the speed of light, time slows down.  Logically, it is reasonable to
assume that as we go faster than the speed of light, time will
reverse.  The major consequence of this for Internet protocols is
that packets will arrive before they are sent.  This will have a
major impact on the way we design Internet protocols.  This paper
outlines some of the issues and suggests some directions for
additional analysis of these issues.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to rfc-editor(_at_)rfc-editor(_dot_)org.
Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC