Last Call: <draft-sheffer-running-code-04.txt>

2013-04-25 18:53:47
Greetings, all,

The idea put forth in this document seems quite useful, and the scope is
appropriate for a process experiment, so I support its publication.

I have only one comment on the content. In applying this to my own documents
and WGs, I'd tend to prefer the "alternate" mechanism described in section 3,
even without any of the conditions there necessarily applying.

A single reference to a more-easily updatable source like a wiki seems, in
general, to be easier to manage than a section in a document which may have an
irregular update schedule, especially as revision N of a document will
necessarily report on the status of non-author implementations of the protocol
as of revision N-1 or before. As the section is designed to be removed before
publication anyway, there's no issue with references to sources without proper
change control in the resulting RFC, and some WGs/communities may find it
useful to keep the implementation status portion of the wiki up and current
even after publication. So I'd reverse the sense of "preferred" and "alternate"
here, though that's probably just a matter of personal taste.

In any case, this is an experiment, so we should try out both inline
implementation status and implementation status by-reference, and see which
works best in which situations.

Best regards,

Brian