Re: last call comments for draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-06

2013-04-26 07:48:56

"Andrew" == Andrew McGregor <andrewmcgr(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:
    Andrew> Further to that, ifindexes of tunnels and PPP sessions can change
    Andrew> dynamically as the bearer connection goes up and down, even if the
    Andrew> interface has the same name and authenticated identity.
    Andrew> That raises the
    Andrew> interesting question of whether even the interface name is
    Andrew> stable, as on

I agree that this happens, and that it is a problem.
I wonder if this isn't a bug in the OSes involved that the ifindex can
not be more clearly specified by a daemon, or that the order of
interface bringup in the OS couldn't be more deterministic.

I think that non-contiguous ifindexes are a pain in the ass (based upon
my understanding of enumeration of interfaces in the interface MIB), but
are they essentially forbidden?  Having holes would make it easier to
keep things consistent.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works